- 1) How to choose the right plastic surgeon and how to know if you qualify for the desired cosmetic procedure?
This is a very important question because there are many intruders of other specialties who perform cosmetic procedures way out of their league.
It must be clear that plastic surgery is a specialty which involves five years of preparation and study, two of whom consist of general surgery, which should be completed as a prerequisite for this specialty, and three years correspond to plastic cosmetic and reconstructive surgery.
We consider of vital importance that when choosing the correct surgeon you make sure that he or she is accredited by the Society of Plastic Surgery and has completed the five years required to become a plastic surgeon from an accredited hospital or institution.
- 2) How to choose the right place for a plastic surgery procedure?
My suggestion is to choose a center that has all the facilities needed for the performance of such procedure: from laboratory studies and images, needed before and after surgery, to the necessary equipments needed to deal with any unforeseen complications and above all, an intensive care unit because like any surgical procedure, there are risks and an ICU may be vital.
- 3) Who is the ideal candidate for plastic surgery?
A good candidate is one has researched the procedure chosen, knows its limits and therefore has a realistic expectation of the outcome.
It’s essential that the patient is sure about carrying out the process and has the desire of improving his or her appearance. The patient must meet the time requirements for a good postoperative recovery.
- 4) Is there an appropriate age for plastic surgery?
This varies depending upon the type of procedure chosen, and of course the needs of every individual patient; you can perform plastic surgery at any age range.
- 5) What part of the body can I have surgery on?
Here on my site there’s a list of surgical and nonsurgical procedures that we offer.
We perform plastic surgery on both men and women and on any part of the body in which you are not completely satisfied with.
- 6) What happens during my first consultation?
- During the first consultation the patient is evaluated expressing what the problem areas are, allowing the doctor to propose different options for the solution.
- 7) Can multiple surgeries be performed at once?
Yes, we can associate multiple procedures within a single procedure. Keeping in mind that the time spent in the operation room should be the minimal amount possible so that an unnecessary risk is not created.
- 8) Can men have plastic surgery done, if so what plastic surgery can be performed?
Perfectly. In the last decade the demand for plastic surgery has increased and like women, men have also expressed the need to feel good about their body and to be accepted by the social media.
- 9) How long after pregnancy can surgery be performed?
It is prudent to expect for the postpartum phase to end, (ranging from 6-8 weeks postpartum) allowing the body to return to its original state and becoming hormonally stable. In certain procedures it is necessary to wait until the end of lactation.
- 10) What are the most common surgeries performed?
- The most common cosmetic surgeries are liposuction, breast surgery (augmentation and reduction) and abdominoplasty.
About Procedures Facial
- 11) When will I see the end results?
After 3 months you will start to see a more pleasant appearance. This may vary from patient to patient.
- 12) Can I expose myself to the sun after a facial procedure?
The sun is not advised in the first few months because it can change the pigment of the skin and scars may become more evident. It’s advisable to use sun screen (SPF) of more than 30%.
- 13) When will edema and bruising disappear?
- Edema as well as bruising will decrease as the days go by and the patient begins to perform lymphatic drainage massages. It is appropriate to remember that in any surgical procedure there’s a lot of tissue manipulation and it’s normal for edema and bruising to appear.
- 14) When will the sutures be removed?
- Sutures will be withdrawn after the tenth day of surgery, but this mostly depends upon the specific procedure. We must emphasize that healing is unique to each individual. There are diseases and nutritional disorders that can interfere with healing time.
- 15) Can this type of surgery be associated with other procedures?
- Of course, this surgery can be done in conjunction with other procedures which can be invasive and/or noninvasive. Click on the Procedures area of this site and check it out for yourself.
About the Body Contouring
- 16) What liposuction technique is appropriate for you and why?
- There are various techniques for this procedure and different terms. The end results are the same. The choice of technique depends mainly on the skill of the physician and the availability of equipment needed for each technique.
- 17) If weight is gained after liposuction, what would happen to those areas that were liposuctioned?
- What happens is that both liposuctioned areas and neighboring areas which were not touched during the procedure will accumulate fat again. For this reason, it’s very important to maintain a proper diet and regular exercise regimen.
- 18) What would happen if I get pregnant after abdominoplasty surgery?
Nothing that will cause problems with the pregnancy or the baby. The results of surgery will be loss due to excess skin and weakening of the abdominal muscles during pregnancy.
It’s highly recommended that this procedure be done after having children and in a patient who has no plans of having anymore children in the future. Unless, the procedure is inevitable in cases such as metabolic alterations, former obese patients, etc..
- 19) What will happen to my belly button if a tummy tuck is done?
Your navel is repositioned to its normal position and will have a more pleasant appearance.
- 20) When can I go back to the gym after surgery?
After 45 days you can start doing physical activity gradually and with the approval of your doctor.
- 21) Do I have to wear any special clothing?
- Yes, we recommend using a special garment post abdominoplasty and after liposuction. In the case of breast surgeries an elastic bra is necessary.
- 22) How do I know what size my breasts are going to be in reduction mammoplasty surgery?
- The size of your breast will be determined by the proportions and anatomy of your body. There’s no method for precising the exact size of the breasts prior to surgery.
- 23) Is sensitivity lost in breast reduction or breast augmentation?
- Sensitivity may be altered in both cases. However, most of the time this is transient and full sensitivity is recovered after a few months after the surgery.
- 24) How long does the breast implant last after being placed?
- In recent years the implant material has improved and there’s no estimated time as to when exactly they should be replaced. Some studies suggest that they should be replaced every 20 to 25 years. It is important to schedule periodic consultations with the physician to determine whether or not it’s necessary to replace the implant.
- 25) Is it possible to detect a breast change (neoplasia) in patients with breast implants?
- Yes, there are different methods available to help diagnose any alterations that may be found in the breasts, such as: mammography, ultrasound, CAT scans, MRI, among others.
- 26) In breast augmentation, are there risks with breastfeeding?
- There’s no risk because the implant is placed behind the mammary gland or muscle and does not interfere with the milk ducts.
Top of page
|Centro Internacional de Cirugia Plástica Avanzada (CIPLA) Suite 203 Office: (809) 333-6062 Cell: (809) 610-9039